I don’t want summer to end!! The last bank holiday of the summer is fun and all (woo day off!) but it also means that summer is drawing to an end. While I’m excited to bring out the autumn wardrobe (hello layers, tartan and coats), I’m sad that I will no longer be able to bake summery things. As one of my last summer bakes of the year, I thought I would make traditional mixed berry crumble that is super quick and simple and serve them in my mini Le Creuset casserole dishes. I am totally obsessed with these, how cute are they?! This recipe is from Nigella Lawson’s website:
100g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
50g cold butter (cut into small pieces)
3 tablespoons demerara sugar
for the filling:
- 100g frozen summer fruits
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar (or regular sugar plus a drop of vanilla)
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.
- Rub together the cubes of butter, flour and baking powder using your fingers until it feels like coarse sand.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Place the fruits into the ramekins and sprinkle over the cornflour and sugar. Stir this in a little.
- Sprinkle the mixture onto the fruits and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- TIP – to get it to look extra brown, place the berry crumble in the grill for a few minutes.
- Serve with ice-cream. YUM