I found this recipe on one of the many blogs I read – coutureandcrumpets.com and I thought I would give it a whirl. However I did make some tweaks to her recipe to make it my own. Here’s how to make them:
5oz self‑raising flour
6oz caster sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 packet Oreo cookies
8oz unsalted butter at room temperature
12oz icing sugar
3‑4 tablespoons milk
1) Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
3) Spoon some of the batter into each cupcake case. TIP – use an ice-cream scoop so you get the same amount in each case.
5) Add more of the batter to each case and make sure you cover the Oreo completely.
6) Pop the cupcakes in the oven for about 15-20 minutes.
1) Combine the butter and icing sugar. TIP – icing sugar seems to have a habit of getting everywhere so cover your bowl with a tea towel to stop any mess. Trust me – I learnt the hard way!!
2) Add the milk and a splash of vanilla extract.
3) Twist the Oreo cookies, scrape off the vanilla in the middle (eat to dispose) and place them in a blender to make crumbs. If you’re feeling particularly stressed, an alternative option is to place the cookies in a food bag and beat with the rolling pin! Very satisfying.
4) Combine crumbs with the icing.
5) Pipe icing in a piping bag. TIP – stand the bag in a tall glass to get the icing in the bag.
6) Pipe away!
As you can see I tried out different icing designs on the cupcake, just for some well needed piping practice!
Happy baking. x